Sunday, April 5, 2009

Don't show that you are impressed, it'll just go to her head


We've never been big on chinese food in the household- Not proper Cantonese dumplings, but I mean the Chow Mein etc that passes for Chinese food in most Western countries. Mainly because my daughter has a nasty peanut allergy, and often peanut oil is used to stir-fry the veg.

So why, when I made a chickenish dish this afternoon, did I catch her eating with chop sticks? And not fumbling, eating like a sage? Perfect grip! I can't eat with chopsticks like that!

I was very impressed, until later.

We'd finished the main course, and were on to dessert- store-bought icecreams, and I found myself choking up over the words 'Hannah! You can't eat icecream with chopsticks!' But she could. And she did. I can't even play chopsticks on the piano.

How the heck does a child learn spontaneous chopstick grip? Surely she could be bestowed a more useful gift, like unravelling mysteries of physics?

I could try and pimp her to a chinese advertising agency, make her weight in yuan.

9 comments:

  1. Wow. I'm very impressed! Such skills!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Beck: Aaaah- but how much would you, in theory, pay to see such skills?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this isn't a food blog but your post is making me hungry for one of my new favorites (and it's bed-time here.) Scrambled eggs with mirin. Sweet, salty and eggy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @MDL: 'Sweet, salty and eggy'? Sounds like the members of a scandinavian boy band.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe she HAS unraveled the mysteries of physics, but just hasn't told you. I'd examine her room for top quarks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Briane P: Quite possible- she may have needed something relaxing to do while solving the Rehmann hypothesis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter is also v. good with chopsticks - but we also eat wonderful Chinese take-out a few times a month so...

    ReplyDelete
  8. So she's channelling your daughter? The connection must be stronger than initially suspected.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I despise westernized Asian cuisine and I couldn't use chopsticks if my life depended on it lol, thankfully we have a few authentic Asian restaurants in my city and the lovely proprietors take pity on my uselessness and always manage to dig up a fork for me...

    ReplyDelete

Say something! It can't be worse than what I have said. Note: Sometimes you have to press 'comment' twice. Stupid comments thingy.